You are currently viewing Zambezi make history – The Namibian

Zambezi make history – The Namibian


Zambezi made history by qualifying for the Namibian Newspaper Cup final for the first time when they beat Khomas 6-5 on penalties in a dramatic semifinal on Saturday night.

The match ended goalless after the full 60 minutes of play and went down to the shootout where Zambezi prevailed when defender Kalonda Masule scored the winning spot kick.

It was end to end stuff from the start with attacks and counterattacks by both teams.

Khomas had the better of the early chances with a shot by Khae-Khoeb Geiseb being tipped for a corner, and Rewaldo Prins and Kai Averia coming close.

At the other end Mulonga Munzenze was dangerous on the counterattack, while Feka Mwilima was just caught by the offside trap.

Prins came close with a flying volley early in the second half, but Zambezi finished stronger with Munzenze and Munguni Chizabulyo stretching Khomas’ defence with their swift counter attacks but Khomas keeper Pieters was alert and managed to keep them at bay.

The match went down to penalties where Khomas got the early advantage when Pieters saved a shot.

Zambezi however drew level when Khomas captain Raymonzo Stern sent his shot wide of the target, and the momentum swung to Zambezi when their keeper Becksen Sibeso made a save and Masule scored to book their place in the final amidst scenes of wild jubilation.

Kavango East pip Ohangwena

Zambezi’s north eastern neighbours Kavango East also made it to the finals after they too made it through on penalties against Ohangwena.

In the earlier stages Ohangwena were the more lively with the nippy Martin Mandume troubling Zambezi’s defence with his incisive attacks.

Kavango East however took the lead against the run of play when Julius Silvia received the ball in space and unleashed a long range shot that hit the roof of the net.

Ohangwena had a great opportunity to draw level when they won a penalty for a foul on 25 minutes, but Bernard Godwins’ shot was well saved by Benhard Ndango.

The referee however ordered the penalty to be retaken, saying that Kavango East’s players had moved too early, but Godwins once again missed the target with his shot hitting the crossbar.

Ohangwena however equalised just before halftime when Mwatale Wisman ran onto a long clearance and beat Ndango at close range.

Both sides had more chances after the break with Mandume twice coming close for Ohangwena while Ohangwena keeper Joseph Martin saved well to deny Tarah Siwombe and Joseph Kaguma but the score remained unchanged and the match had to go to a penalty shootout.

Kavango East took the early initiative when their keeper saved from Pangeiko Matheus and with the rest of the kicks going in they went on to win the shootout 5-4.


Source link