You are currently viewing ‘I killed her’ – The Namibian

‘I killed her’ – The Namibian

“I KILLED HER … I killed her.”

This is what a seven-year-old boy said when he was asked what happened to the two-year-old girl who’s body

was found with sand in her eyes and mouth.

seven-year-old undergoes counselling after death of two-year-old

Her body was hidden in a hut covered with a blanket.

The boy, who’s name cannot be revealed due to his age, is currently undergoing councelling to determine what

drove him to the alleged killing of Ndeshipanda Naameondeni.

The incident took place at Ohainghete village in the Omusati region on Saturday.

The Namibian yesterday met the boy’s mother at the Oshivelo Police Station where the family was waiting to be

taken to the Ministry of Gender Equality, Poverty Eradication and Social Welfare’s regional office to see a social


The boy was quietly sitting with three other children who witnessed the incident, while the adults spoke to the media.

His mother said she is struggling to come to terms with what happened as Ndeshipanda was their neighbour’s child.

“This is just too much for me. I just want to die, along with my son. I don’t know what is wrong with him,

perhaps something is possessing him,” she said.

Ndeshipanda’s aunt, Ndilimeke Titus (35), along with the three boys who witnessed the incident, were also waiting

at the station to see social workers.

Ndeshipanda’s mother is a 17-year-old teenager and is currently in the Ohangwena region where she attends


She just completed this year’s final exams.

The young mother has been informed of her baby’s death, but is yet to return home.


The boy’s mother yesterday said her husband, who is the boy’s father, took his own life last month.

She said he attempted to kill her by hitting her until she almost passed out.

He then took his life.

She said her children were sleeping at the time, but were awakened by their mother’s cries.

Her seven-year-old son had to witness her being abused for quite some time, she said.

“I can’t even stand to look at him, but I was advised to be gentle with him,” she said.

The distraught mother said her son often misbehaves.

She revealed that he is partially deaf and sometimes struggles with his speech.

The boy’s mother, who is part of the San community at their village, and Ndeshipanda’s aunt, Titus, are neighbours,

but live as one family.

“We depend on meme Titus’ household. They give us food and our children are always together, my son is always

over there,” she said.

She said she hopes the counselling will help her cope and be at ease with her son.


Titus said three other adults live with her, but because they run a cuca shop at the village, they were all out working

on Saturday.

“We left the child [Ndeshipanda] with a 12-year-old who usually babysits until we return home. The boys from the

neighbours came to our house that evening as usual.

“The girl decided to leave the young boy with Ndeshipanda so they could fetch firewood in the nearby

bushes,” the aunt said.

“We were at the cuca shop when the children came running. They were shouting and crying. I went out and the

children continued shouting that the child had been killed.

“We couldn’t believe it. We all ran to the house where we discovered the baby placed in a traditional hut covered

with a blanket. She was not breathing. There was sand in her mouth and eyes. That’s when we called the police,”

Titus said.

“We are shattered – both families,” she said.


Acting executive director of gender equality, poverty eradication and social welfare Martha Mbombo says her

office will be conducting an assessment to establish the facts of the case.

“The assessment will include providing recommendations to the prosecutor on the treatment of the minor which is in

conflict with the law.

“If necessary . . . request that the child be treated as a child in need of protective services, and refer the child to a

psychologist as is the case right now.

“Through the assessment, if parents are found to be negligent in the matter, criminal charges will be laid against

them,” she says.

Oshikoto police regional commander commissioner Theopoline Nashikaku says the boy will not be arrested, but will,

along with the other affected individuals, be counselled.

“the young suspect has further been referred to a professional psychologist, because he was found to be

mentally unstable. He is behaving as though he is aware of what he has done, but not of what it really means,” she


Source link